Uganda Police Football Club matched out of the Kabaka Kyabaggu stadium last evening with a disappointing 3-1 defeat to Wakiso Giants in a game marred by controversial decisions.

The Cops entered into this game aiming for nothing but victory to maintain our chase for a top three finish and maximum points would keep us close to our goal.

Yusuf Ssozi dribbles past Hassan Senyonjo

However, the Cops hopes were lagged back after two goals from skipper Tony Mawejje and defender Tony Kiwalazi were ruled offside could see us settle for a draw.

Two minutes away from the whistle, Tony Kiwalazi got booked by center referee George Brown Nkurunziza for a foul on Vianne Sekajugo.

Tonny Kiwalazi got booked on a fault against Vianne Sekajugo

On the 18th minute mark, the hosts took the lead through a penalty converted by Lubwama Joshua after left back Eric Ssenjobe’s foul on Sekajugo in the box.

Dreadlocked striker Brian Mululi saw his stunning shot saved by goalkeeper Samson Kirya while midfielder Yusuf Ssozi’s distant shot hit the goal post.

Ssozi was again played through by right winger Muwada Mawejje only for Kirya to deny his attempt and rebound as the 2015 league winners trailed 1-0 at halftime.

In the 51st minute, the home side were awarded a second penalty after Senjobe was judged to have handled the ball in the area, but the left back seemed to have been just inches away from the 18-yard box. Lubwama nevertheless converted amidst Police protests.

Despite the frustrations, Police kept attacking restlessly. Ben Ocen had a chance to score after going past two defenders and ventured towards goal only for Nkurunziza to blow the whistle calling for a free-kick.

Tonny Mawejje’s goal was wrongly denied

The resultant free-kick by Hassan Mahmood went through Wakiso Giants’ wall before Kirya spilled the ball in the path of Tony Mawejje who tapped in but Jane Mutonyi claimed he was offside and the goal couldn’t count.

Hassan Mahmood free-kick beat the wall but Tonny Mawejje’s rebound was denied

Moments later, the hosts netted the third goal through Ssekajugo’s tapping past Ikara. The goalie would later limp off to pave way for Derrick Ochan.

Also, Reuben Kimera, Derrick Kakooza, Herman Wasswa were introduced for Tony Mawejje, Muwada Mawejje and Brian Mululi. Duncan Senninde also came on later for Senjobe.

In the 71st minute, Herman Wasswa finished off Senninde’s well curled free-kick from the left flank to cut on the deficit and the Cops gained momentum.

Herman Wasswa scored a consolation goal for The Cops

Police again scored a would be second goal through Kiwalazi only for the assistant referee Mutonyi to raise the offside forcing the furious technical bench of Police into protest from the sidelines.

Ben Ocen fighting for possession with Atendere Gerriga

The disappointing result kept us unmoved from the 5th position on 37 points after 21 games. Our focus is on the Stanbic Uganda Cup round of 16 against Soltilo Bright Stars on Saturday at the MTN Omondi stadium Lugogo.

How we started

Tom Ikara (GK), Tony Kiwalazi, Eric Ssenjobe, Henry Katongole, Hassan Mahmood, Tony Mawejje, Muwada Mawejje, Ssozi Yusuf, Frank Tumwesigye, Brian Mululi, Ben Ocen

Substitutes: Derrick Ochan, Kakooza Derrick, Reuben Kimera,Fahad Kizito, Herman Wasswa, Duncan Senninde, George Kiryowa