• Wakiso Giants 1-3 Police

• Stanbic Uganda Cup.

Uganda Police Football Club bounced back to winning ways after overcoming Wakiso Giants 3-1 in the Stanbic Uganda Cup quarter-final first leg on Thursday at the Kabaka Kyabaggu stadium.

The Cops had gone six games winless in all competitions, a poor run that was sparked off by a defeat to the same side at the same venue with the same score in the Uganda Premier League last month.

Cops gather to celebrate one of the goals scored

Tactician Abdallah Mubiru made changes in his squad with Joseph Sentume starting in defense ahead of injured Henry Katongole and Fahad Kizito started ahead of Ben Ocen.

In the 5th minute, Wakiso Giants took the lead off Reuben Kimera’s own goal. The left-back turned George Kaddu’s cross at the back of his net when goalie Tom Ikara had come off his line for a routine clearance.

Their lead didn’t stay longer however, when forward Derrick Kakooza pounced onto midfielder Yusuf Ssozi’s low driven pass from the right bringing the game back on level terms.

Yusuf Ssozi battles his opponent

Captain fantastic Tony Mawejje made a boarderline clearance to deny George Kaddu attempt before striker Ben Ocen got booked five minutes after replacing injured right back Tony Kiwalazi.

In the 27th minute, defender Joseph Sentume released silky midfielder Yusuf Ssozi who raced on the through ball to round goalie Samson Kirya for a fine tapping in an empty net.

Yusuf Ssozi tapping the ball in an empty net

Shot stopper Tom Ikara rose to the occasion denying Vianne Ssekajugo’s clear cut chance in a keeper to beat challenge for the Cops to take a 2-1 lead after the halftime whistle.

In the 66th minute, robust attacker Fahad Kizito released onrushing striker Ben Ocen who outpaced his opponent and slotted home past Kirya to consolidate the away victory.

Ben Ocen rubs shoulder with Atendele Gerriga

Skillful midfielder Mubaraka Nsubuga and gangly forward Henry Kisekka later came on for Derrick Kakooza and Duncan Senninde and the Cops held on for a first leg advantage.

“I’m so grateful with my players for putting a lot of effort, it was not easy but they managed to give us a lead heading for the return leg. It’s not yet over, there is still 90 minutes to play for in the return leg but it’s now upon us to prepare well.”

Head Coach Abdallah Mubiru Noted

The Cops will play host to the same side on Friday 4th June at the MTN Omondi stadium in Lugogo and the winner on aggregate will storm the semis.

How the Cops Started

Tom Ikara (GK), Tony Kiwalazi, Eric Senjobe, Joseph Sentume, Hassan Mahmood, Tony Mawejje, Yusuf Ssozi, Duncan Senninde, Fahd Kizito, Derrick Kakooza, Ruben Kimera

Substitutes: Derrick Ochan, Henry Katongole, Muwadda Mawejje, Brian Muluuli Mayanja, Henry Kisekka, Ben Ocen, Mubarak Nsubuga

Yusuf Ssozi, Fahad Kizito joined by Muwada Mawejje in a pitch side celebrations